Auschwitz Memorial condemns Rep. Clay Higgins’ gas chamber video: ‘It’s not a stage’
Clay Higgins MP was criticized Tuesday by officials at the Memorial and Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum, after the Louisiana Republican has posted on YouTube a five-minute video narrated in the former gas chamber Nazi extermination camp.
“A great sense of fear he has in this place,” said Higgins, who is a member of the House Security Committee of the United States House, in the video. “Man’s inhumanity to man can be very shocking.”
Elsewhere in the video, the former law enforcement officer says, “The world is smaller than it was in World War II. The United States is more accessible to terror like this, a horror like this. “It’s hard to get away from gas chambers and ovens without a very sober sense of commitment – an unwavering commitment – to make sure the United States is protected from the evils of the world.”
Also in the video, filmed in the Nazi death camp in Poland, Higgins said the death of the gas chamber took about 20 minutes and demonstrate why the US military “must be invincible.”
In response to the video, the Memorial and Museum of Auschwitz-Birkenau tweeted that the decision to film in the old gas chamber was inadequate.
“Everyone has the right to personal reflections,” read the first tweet. “However, in an old gas chamber, there should be no sad silence. This is not a step.”
A later tweet includes an image of an Auschwitz plaque that says: “You are in a building where the SS killed thousands of people please keep quiet here. Remember your suffering and show respect for your memory.”
On Tuesday night, Higgins had not criticized the video publicly. ABC News contacted the Higgins office to comment.
The US secretary of state confirmed Tillerson’s claim that North Korea has launched an intercontinental ballistic missile overnight.
“The United States strongly condemns Korea’s launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile,” Tillerson said in a statement. “The test of an intercontinental ballistic missile represents a new escalation of the threat to the United States, our allies and partners, the region and the world.”
He continued: “Global action is needed to stop a global threat Any country that welcomes workers’ guests in North Korea provides economic or military benefits or fails to fully implement Security Council resolutions. Aid and encourages a dangerous regime. They publicly demonstrate to North Korea that there are consequences for the development of nuclear weapons. ”
In her statement, Tillerson confirmed that the Trump administration requested a meeting with the UN Security Council, a spokeswoman Nikki Haley, the United States Ambassador to the United Nations, told ABC News earlier in the day.
“It is about moving North Korea’s provocative action to the UN Security Council and taking stronger measures to support responsible DPRK,” Tillerson said in a statement.
“The United States will seek the peaceful denuclearization of the Korean peninsula and the threatening final actions of North Korea. As we have said, we will never accept a nuclear North Korea.
The president and his national security team continue to assess the situation in close coordination with our allies and partners. “