EU offers Italy migrant help, cautions private rescuers
The EU executive has offered more funding from Italy on Tuesday to help treat Mediterranean migrants and said private rescue boats working in Libya should examine their operations to avoid encouraging people to visit in Mar.
The European Commission has announced 35 million euros (40 million dollars) in extra money to Rome in response to Italian requests that its neighbors share more of the burden of handling thousands of people by boat each week. He also presented a list of other measures of EU ministers to discuss Thursday.
Among the proposals, Italy developed a code of conduct for non-governmental organizations (NGOs) operating the Libyan rescue services.
Frans Timmermans, the deputy head of the Commission, told reporters after the weekly commissioners’ meeting, which was partly because their activities could be a ‘calling effect’ – encouraging people to risk their lives in boats Fragile in the hope of being collected then transferred to Italy.
The plan envisages the Commission to strengthen Libya’s coastal rescue services – something that Europeans can expect to curb the number of people caught near the shore by international charities.
Despite criticism of the coastguard abuses employed by the government of Libya, a UN-backed government, European officials say local rescue services would mean that more migrants would be reduced or possibly Libya in Tunisia And neighboring Egypt.
Human rights groups have criticized EU governments, taking into account an increase in the death rate and more than 2,000 drowning this year in Libya; Many want Europe to give way to refugees, though some governments fear it would boost their anti-immigration opponents.
Human Rights Watch said a similar set of proposals agreed on Sunday by the Italian, French and German, with the Commission “falling apart” and were “horrible for people fleeing Libya” and “abusive conditions … and conflict “.
He said that France and Spain could help bring relief ships, rather than in Italy, where more than 85,000 people have so far this year. Paris and Madrid responded with caution to Italy’s view that it could close its own ports.
Timmermans and Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker called on other Member States to protect against the two-year pledges to recruit more refugees to Italy and Greece.
An EU agreement with Turkey last year marked the flows that have seen one million people arrive in Greece in 2015, but numbers arriving in Italy from Libya without law are higher than last year.
“The focus of our efforts must be in solidarity with those fleeing war and persecution and with our Member States under pressure,” Juncker said in a statement.
“At the same time, we must act in support of Libya to fight against smugglers and improve border control to reduce the number of people making dangerous journeys in Europe.”
The Commission reaffirmed its commitment to mobilize EU agencies and staff to help Italians. He said a € 46 million project with Italy would bolster Libya’s ability to honor promises to curb migrant smuggling.
The EU has also committed itself to intensifying or improving other measures, such as the expulsions of rejected asylum seekers, anti-smuggling networks and the financing of African countries whose populations flee from poverty and hope to work in Europe.
Italy, said that the Commission should speed up the processing of asylum applications and the eviction of rejected persons.